Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Music

I'm working on a speech a presentation for school. The instructor told us to pick any word and write about it. Well, obviously it needs to be a word I feel something about. It needed to be something I can talk about with strength and conviction. So, besides my children, God, and my family what is there? What is one word that drives my passion for life?

Music

It drives most of us doesn't it? To some degree I hope that is true. Music has a rich history in human society. Tribes celebrated with drums and reed flutes. Percussion drove their feet to dance and pray. In high Europe artist such as Bach and Beethoven set the world on it's heels with the pure genius of what they could produce. All over the world there is music. If there have been people, there was music. I would wager that Eve and Adam even sang while living in the Garden of Eden.

Music reaches into our souls. It touches us and guides us in so many ways. When you drive down the highway on your motorcycle don't you hear music? Even with out the stereo? What did you listen to the last time you were heart broken? Or in love? When you were a teenager and felt that no one understood you, where did you turn? To your music if you were like me.

Music bridges gaps between us. We may like similar music or share similar tastes or it may even be the difference in taste that intrigues us and brings us together. It may be the message with the music that binds us and keeps us driven.

God even speaks through music. When you go to church and the lord fills your senses and you open your mouth to rejoice, what do you do? You sing. When the angles announced the coming of Jesus Christ, they sang. Choirs of Angles. Oh, angles we have heard on high! Can you even begin to imagine the glory of heaven's music?

We can go places with music that free us of our earthly worries. My imagination soars through unknown realms when I open my mind to music. Instrumental or with lyrics your mind is free to walk along paths that your feet may not follow.

There is a diversity in music that directly reflects our world. Literally hundreds upon hundreds of genres. Anyone anywhere is bound to find something that touches them and inspires them.

Can music be misused? Of course it can. Because music affects us so strongly it can be used to send negative, poisonous messages. For some people the passion that they find in this music can become overwhelming. So here I have a word of warning, enjoy your music, but keep that logical part of your mind aware of the dangers that could lurk.

Most importantly though, find music that moves you! Through music you can find a passion for life, love, God, EVERYTHING!

Now I'd like to encourage you to go here.

Close your eyes, listen and let your mind wander.

This is the starting point for my speech. All out of order and such, but for a nice 3 minute rant, not too shabby.

No comments: